Where land and sea make beauty, this IS Antigua.

This site is to provide a gathering point to distribute information to conserve and preserve our national asset.

Let us keep our beaches, coasts and waters clean and healthy.

16.9.07

The Sunday report...

Is it so obvious that I do not have a camera , as I have nicked a few around the internet. Soooo, frustrating ! Anyway, work with what we have!

Thankfully my good friend Steve Moore joined us on the beach yesterday with both video and stills cameras, so we are going to put some short movies together to raise the awareness of this issue.

Getting home yesterday, I took a nap with the intent of going out later, wrong...woke up at about one thirty in the morning with two hungry dogs looking at me ! OK, now I've got all the sleep I need, updated blog and decided to be at the beach as the light broke. That is why I was reminded of the need for a camera.

Loading my pockets with plastic shopping bags, the ones I hate at the store and vowing to get some canvas or similar made, I made my way down to the beach of Halfmoon Bay and collected about six bags FULL, bags doubled hence stuffed pockets. Now I know that does not sound like a lot but consider that they were all small pieces, from thumb size to fist size to pea size and of course the odd intact beverage or oil bottle, some with caps some without.

Venturing down to Farley Bay, so a nice hike from the back of Old Road. Wow was there a ton of stuff down there, so prioritizing I set about taking a walk down the beach and picking up plastic bottles various and other manageable bits and left with a ruck sack full. Love the big shiney stones and pebbles here, not much sand, bit seasonal, though with mining holes are a dead give away that some has been illegally removed.

These scalloped water holes are a result of illegal sand mining
So tomorrow, Monday, I am going to go round the designated beaches, to ensure all has been collected for proper disposal, just in case some participants unknowingly missed the collections.

One neat thing, is the nice feeling of satisfaction that there is a useful thing to do with the dreaded plastic shopping bags. Perfect in size, slip in the pocket practically unnoticed about six make up one "sack size". Walk up the beach, fill them,leave when full and once you have filled your last one and start making a return to your starting point and pick them up along the way and hey presto, in the car they go !

No comments: